This is strictly personal opinion but reflects some lessons I think we have not been adequately teaching to new incoming staff:
- I will sit at rapt attention in meetings regardless of the meeting topic
- I will honor my commitments when representing the U.S. Government.
- I will RSVP when requested.
- I will volunteer.
- I will not appear frustrated or angry before subordinates.
- I will watch my colleagues’ backs and work as a team; when one of us looks bad, we all look bad.
- I will have the courage to ask management for help and for fairness.
- I will listen more than I will speak.
- I will assume I have more to learn than I have to contribute.
- I will not forget these rules.
Again, strictly personal opinion.