“Other” Foreign Service Jobs

“The Test” is a constant topic of discussion for people trying to get into the Foreign Service.  People passing the Foreign Service test and taking an appointment with the State Department are called “Generalists”.

But taking the test and becoming a Generalist is not the only way of working in the Foreign Service.

Currently, there are about 22,500 direct American hires working for the State Department.  But there are only a total of around 7,500 Generalists.  So who are the rest of the 15,000 employees?

Foreign Service Specialists and the Civil Service employees of course!  Selection procedures to become a Specialist or Civil Servant is rather different from a becoming a generalist and in some cases, the acceptance rates are higher.

I’ll be covering the selection process for each in more detail, but here are the direct links on the official State Department website:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: